SCRUM Master and Product Owner Same Person kind of arrangement is discouraged by SCRUM if you are a follower of SCRUM.org, but it is technically possible. SCRUM Master has much more broader role than just be part of one agile execution. Scrum master is a servant leader who not only play a role inside the scrum team but also play a crucial role in the organization level. In other traditional project execution, it is more Project Manager centric but SCRUM is a framework which tries to reduce the risk for building complex systems. Scrum team is not just self sufficient but also a balanced with respect to individuals and their roles. If one individual with both roles, then it dilutes the concentration of responsibilities.
Beside being a part of Agile SCRUM team, the Scrum Master also helps all non team stake holder outside the Scrum Team understand which of their interactions with the Scrum Team are helpfuland which arent. The Scrum Master helps everyone change these interactions to maximize thevalue created by the Scrum Team. This is a significant effort and if you are also playing a role of Product Owner, you would not justify one of the role as expected.
How Scrum Master Helps Product Owner
Product Owner might be new to the Agile SCRUM development and might be coming from traditional methodology. Grooming his skill to make sure that Product Owner should not be the bottleneck, scrum master should server him in following way
- Product backlog Item (PBI) management is not an easy things and as you ahead, you may find lot of challenges how to manage PBI. Effective techniques are explained along with best practices to Product Owner
- Helping the Scrum Team understand the need for clear and concise Product Backlog items;
- Understanding product planning in an empirical environment;
- Ensuring the Product Owner knows how to arrange the Product Backlog to maximize value;
- Understanding and practicing agility; and,
- Facilitating Scrum events as requested or needed
How Scrum Master Helps Development Team
The Scrum Master serves the Development Team in several ways, including:
- Coaching the Development Team in self-organization and cross-functionality;
- Helping the Development Team to create high-value products;
- Removing impediments to the Development Teams progress;
- Facilitating Scrum events as requested or needed; and,
- Coaching the Development Team in organizational environments in which Scrum is not yet fully adopted and understood.
How Scrum Master Helps to the Organization
The Scrum Master serves the organization in several ways, including:
- Leading and coaching the organization in its Scrum adoption;
- Planning Scrum implementations within the organization;
- Helping employees and stakeholders understand and enact Scrum and empirical product development;
- Causing change that increases the productivity of the Scrum Team; and,
- Working with other Scrum Masters to increase the effectiveness of the application of Scrum in the organization.